John is a Professor at the State University of New York College at Buffalo’s International Center for Studies in Creativity where as part of a team he focuses on teaching, assessing, and researching the science of creativity. John is also the Director of the Service Learning and Civic Engagement Program in Myanmar.
John specializes in facilitating and accelerating scientific and interdisciplinary innovation as part of his work through Knowinnovation. John has written journal articles, book chapters, and books in the areas of business, technology, engineering, and creativity. In 2017, he and his colleaguespublished their book Organizational Creativity: A Practical Guide for Innovators and Entrepreneurs by SAGE Publications.
In recognition for his work, he was awarded the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, the State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, and grants from the National Science Foundation and the State University of New York. John is also a Fulbright Scholar. He served his Fulbright at the Universidad Autónoma de Bucaramanga, Colombia and has held visiting professorships at the Universidad de La Sabana and the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, both located in Colombia.
Some organizations that have benefited from John’s training and organizational development expertise include IBM, Pfizer, Kraft Foods, Coca-Cola, British Home Office, National Science Foundation, NASA, Drexel University, Penn State University, Purdue University, Harvard University’s Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, National Oceanographic Laboratory System, The Ohio State University, The Pew Charitable Trusts, US Embassy in Myanmar, and the United States Department of Agriculture.
John was responsible for the start-up of American Airline's training and organizational development unit for its Miami, Caribbean, and Latin American Division. Before joining American Airlines, he was a training and organizational development specialist for Fisher-Price Toys.
John earned his Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology from the University of Manchester, England, and an M.S. in Creativity and Change Leadership from the State University of New York.
Towards Frictionless Collaboration: Teaching Creativity in a 3D Virtual World (video) | 2009 Faculty Research Presentation (video) | Creativity 101: Theoretical Families (video) | Creativity 101: Creativity Measurements (video) | Bio Sketch | Creative Collaborations | Publications | ICSC Second Life Island | Full Curriculum Vitae (PDF) | Follow on Twitter
Puccio, G. J., Burnett, C., Acar, S., Yudess, J., Hollinger, M., & Cabra, J. F. (2018). Creative Problem Solving in Small Groups: The Effects of Training on Idea Generation, Solution Creativity, and Leadership Effectiveness. Journal of Creative Behavior.
Acar, S., Burnett, C., & Cabra, J. F. (2017). Ingredients of Creativity: Originality and More. Creativity Research Journal, 29(2), 133-144.
Cabra, J. F., & Sanchez, J. (2012). Estudio Exploratorio del Clima Creativo en Compañías Colombianas Seleccionadas. Panorma, 9, 163 – 179.
Puccio, G. J., Cabra, J. F., Fox, M. J., & Cahen, H. (2010). Creative Problem-Solving. History and future. Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, 24, 153-159.
Uribe, D. E., & Cabra, J. F. (2010). Creative Problem-Solving in Second Life: An action research study. Creativity & Innovation Management, 19(2), 167-179.
Cabra, J. F. (2008). An exploratory study of factors that help and hinder creativity in the workplace. Conference proceedings paper for the 2nd annual community meeting of the Creativity and Innovation Management Journal.
Cabra, J. F., & Joniak, A.J. (2008). Application of Proportional Reduction Loss Formula to distinguish Adaptive and Innovative Products and Services. Submitted: Creativity Research Journal, 20(20), 231-233.
Cabra, J. F., Talbot, R. J., Joniak, A. J. (January--June , 2007). Potential explanations of climate factors that help and hinder workplace creativity. Submitted: Cuadernos de Administración, Bogotá, Colombia, 20(33), 273-301.
Cabra, J. F., Talbot, R. J., Joniak, A. J. (January--June, 2005). Exploratory Study of Creative Climate: A Case from Selected Colombian Companies and its implications on Organizational Development. Cuadernos de Administración, Bogotá, Colombia, 18(29), 53-86.
Cabra-Vidales, J. F. (2004). Complementary Application of Appreciative Inquiry and Organizational Creative Problem Solving. Revista Escuela de Administración de Negocios [Journal of Business School of Administration], Bogotá, Colombia, 53, 96-100.
Cabra, J. F., & Uribe, D. (2013). Creative Behavior. In E. Carayannis, I. Dubina, N. Seel, D. F. J. Campbell, and D. Uzunidis’ (Eds.). Springer Encyclopedia on Creativity, Invention, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship, pp. 267-271.
Uribe-Larach, D., & Cabra, J. F. (2011). The opportunities and challenges of technology driven collaborations. In Mesquita, A. (Ed.), Technology for creativity and innovation:? Tools, techniques and applications.?(pp. 325-342). Hershey, PA:? IGI Publishing.
Puccio, G. J., & Cabra, J. F. (2011). Idea generation and idea evaluation: Cognitive skills and deliberate practice. In M. D. Mumford’s (Ed.), Handbook for Organizational Creativity.?(pp. 187-213). New York, NY:? Elsevier.
Puccio, G. J., & Cabra, J. F. (2010). Organizational creativity: A systems approach. In J. C. Kaufmann, and R. J. Sternberg (Eds.). The Cambridge Handbook of Creativity. (pp. 145-173). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
Puccio, G. J., & Cabra, J. F. (2009). Creative problem solving: Past, present and future. In T. Rickards, H. A. Runco., and S. Moger (Eds.). The Routledge Companion to Creativity (pp. 327-337). Oxford: Routledge.
Cabra, J. F., Figliotti, J., & Burnett, A. (2018). What works in Team Science. United Kingdom: Knowinnovation Press.
Puccio, G. J., Cabra, J. F., & Schwagler, N. (2017). Organizational Creativity: A practical guide for innovators and entrepreneurs. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications
Uribe, D., & Cabra, J. F. (2012). TRYCycle: El Comportamiento Creativo [Creative Behavior]. Santiago, Chile: IdeMax.
Burnett, C., & Cabra, J. F., & Burnett, A. (2013). Towards frictionless collaboration: Teaching creativity in a 3D virtual world. Conference Proceedings paper for the 1st annual Marconi Institute for Creativity, Bologna, Italy.
Mance, M., Colvin, D., Puccio, G. J., & Cabra, J. F. (2008). A creative approach to Leadership: A case study in higher education. Conference Proceedings paper for the 2nd annual community meeting of the Creativity Management Journal.
Cabra, J. F. (2006). Estudio Exploratorio de Clima Creativo de Compañías Colombianas Seleccionadas [Exploratory Study of Creative Climate among Selected Colombian Companies]. CREA Conference, Sevestri Levante, Italy.
Cabra, J. F. (2007). Making Coding Rigor-Visible: A Case from Selected Colombian Companies on what helps and hinders workplace creativity. Article has served as an aid to conducting Grounded Theory.
Cabra, J. F. (2009). The Relative Efficacy of Java Applets on Students’ Recall of and Reactions to Psychometric Statistics. A documentation to aid in the use of Java applets.
Developing a creative environment measure called Creativity and Innovation: Measure of Situational Environment (CIMSE). This measure has been successfully piloted in several organizations.
National Science Foundation
Editorial board member, Creatividad y Sociedad, Madrid, Spain.
Ad-hoc reviewer, Creativity and Innovation Management Journal
Ad-hoc reviewer, Journal of Creative Behavior
Ad-hoc reviewer, Education Research
Honors and Recognition
- State University of New York Buffalo State’s Outstanding Service Learning and Civic Engagement Course (2019) for study abroad program in Myanmar.
- State University of New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (2016)
- State University of New York, Buffalo State President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (2014)
- Latin American Communication Award for Best Illustrated Book design (2013)
- State University of New York Buffalo State’s Emerging Scholar Leader Award (2012)
- Campus Life Faculty Appreciation Award (2011)
- Outstanding Faculty Commitment to Service-Learning Award (2007)
- Service Learning Fellowship (2007)
- Award for the Promotion of Respect for Diversity and Individual Differences in the Classroom (2007)
Grants and Fellowships
- State University of New York (SUNY) Innovative Instruction Technology Grant--$15,000 (2018)
- Fulbright Scholarship (2017) Colombia
- Fulbright Scholarship (2015) Colombia
- State University of New York (SUNY) Innovative Instruction Technology Grant--$20,000 (2015)
- National Science Foundation’s Division of Environmental Biology Grant $182,838. Broadening Participation in Environmental Biology: Examining what works. This grant is designed to help the scientific community identify, and amplify, activities that are contributing to the broadening of participation within the field (2014-2016). Cabra, J. F. and Burnett, A., of KnowInnovation, Inc, co-PIs.
- State University of New York (SUNY) Innovative Instruction Technology Grant--$10,000 (2012)
- State University of New York Research Foundation Incentive Award ($7,000) to develop a global service learning Social Innovation course that would include student travel to Chile, South America (2011)
- State University of New York Research Foundation Incentive Award ($7,000) to develop 3D virtual classrooms in Second Life to teach and facilitate Creative Problem Solving (2009)
- Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (CASTL) Fellowship Award (2007)